Located just north of Calgary, Airdrie is a fantastic option for families. It has great neighbourhoods and the sport and recreation facilities are second to none. Add the excellent schools into the mix, and you can see how Airdrie earned its family-friendly reputation.
But just in case you need more convincing, here are nine reasons why Airdrie is great for families.
1. Sports and recreation
There are plenty of opportunities to stay active and healthy in Airdrie. Here’s a list of the main sports and recreation facilities in the city:
- Ball Diamonds: the city offers 23 ball diamonds and there are a variety of different leagues available for both youth and adults.
- Soccer: Airdrie has several soccer pitches. There are also soccer leagues for both adults and children.
- Golf: the two main golf courses in Airdrie are Apple Creek Golf Course and Woodside Golf Course. Both courses are able to accommodate golfers of all skill levels.
- Tennis: you’ll find plenty of tennis courts throughout the city, including some that are lit for night play.
- Skating: There are many arenas around the city. The ice can be rented for groups or you can show up for public skating.
2. Lower home prices
There has been a significant amount of home development in Airdrie over the past few years, resulting in lots of options. With townhomes, condos and detached homes, there’s something for every family. Compared to other cities in Alberta, buying a new home in Airdrie is usually more affordable too. For example, the average cost for a detached home in Airdrie is 13% lower than Calgary. This means that families can find a home that fits their budget without having to compromise on quality or location.
Check out these stunning Airdrie showhomes to start your home buying journey today.
3. Excellent schools
The city is served by Rocky View Schools, which has a number of schools that consistently rank highly in provincial testing. Some of the best schools in Airdrie include:
- Heloise Lorimer Elementary School
- Muriel Clayton Middle School
- George McDougall High School
- W.H. Croxford High School
- Meadowbrook School
- R.J. Hawkey Elementary School
4. Safe & secure neighbourhoods
Airdrie is considered to be one of the safest cities in Alberta with low crime rates and secure neighbourhoods.
5. Access to health care
Most residents of Airdrie have easy access to primary care, with several clinics and health care providers nearby. One of the main healthcare providers in the city includes:
- Airdrie Community Health Centre: a public health centre providing primary care, including 24 hour Urgent Care, mental health services, and home care.
6. Proximity to Calgary
Airdrie is located just north of Calgary, allowing you to enjoy all the benefits of a major city while living in a smaller, more community-oriented town.
Commute times to downtown Calgary by car typically take 30 to 45 minutes (depending on the time of day). There are also a number of transit options available such as the Airdrie Transit 900 bus that runs seven days a week.
7. Plenty of outdoor activities
The natural surroundings of Airdrie provide plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation. Here are some of the most popular outdoor activities to do in and around the city:
- Horseback riding: there are a number of stables in the area that offer horseback riding lessons and trail rides.
- Nose Creek Park: this provincial park is located just west of Airdrie and has over 160 kilometers of trails. There are also picnic areas, a playground and a dog park.
- Chinook Winds Park: three playgrounds, a skate park, a spray park and concessions—Chinook Winds is a paradise for families.
- Airdrie Farmers Market: the farmers market is held every Wednesday, 3:30 - 7:00 pm and features fresh produce, baked goods, and other local products.
8. Growing economy
Airdrie has a strong economy with low unemployment rates and a growing population. Some of the main factors driving economic growth in Airdrie include:
- Major employers: the area is home to Propak Systems, City of Airdrie, Rocky View Schools, Transcanada Turbines, and Fortis Alberta.
- Population growth: Airdrie’s projected population growth for 2021-2026 is 24.3%. That compares to the 15.8% projected growth for the province of Alberta.
- Economic sectors: the leading economic sectors in Airdrie are:
- Professional, scientific and, technical services
- Transportation and warehousing
9. Community events
There are lots of exciting events happening throughout the year in Airdrie. Here are some geared towards families:
- Airdrie Children’s Festival: this is a great event for families and features tons of activities for children, including face painting, games, crafts and more.
- Airdrie Festival of Lights: this annual festival provides a magical, winter experience for the little ones with stunning light displays, miniature-train rides, Santa’s gift shop and more.
- airdrieFEST: a major street festival that attracts over 6,000 attendees each year. This family-friendly event features live music, entertainment, and a variety of activities for families.
- Halloweeekend Airdrie: celebrate the spooky season at this weekend long event with lots of fun activities for families to enjoy.
To view the full list of events happening in Airdrie in 2023/24, click here.
Airdrie isn’t just a place to live; it’s a place to thrive. From fantastic sports facilities, affordable homes and safe neighbourhoods, families will find everything they need in this friendly and welcoming city.